Environment Impact Assessment is an evaluation of possible influences-positive or negative-that a project can have on environment; including natural, social and economic aspects. The scope of this evaluation is to ensure that decision-takers take under consideration influences in environment before they approve the project. Evaluation of influence in environment in Albania is based in law Nr. 8990 ‘Evaluation of influence in environment’.
This law determines rules, procedures, terms, rights and duties
- To identify, elaborate and evaluate direct and indirect influences of the project or activity in the environment where they are going to be applied;
- To compare priority and incompleteness of a project, proposed in other, possible, variants that contains differences:
- Where the project is going to be applied;
- In the size and its capacity
- In technology
- In the comparing with the situation of the environment, if the project was not going to be applied;
- In the determination of measurements to prevent and to tenderize damages in environment;
- To insure technical, professional, juridical and administrative quality analyze of the requirement and to the decision taken from the respective organisms
Responsible authorities for the environmental permission given, based in evaluation report of the influence in the environment are Environmental, Forests Ministry and Administration of Waters with the respective regional agencies of environment.